Sep 10, 2012

granola

Last week I went to ward temple night.  I rode over with Rob and Freyja.  Rob said that Freyja was the biggest granola he knows. 

Being the fat girl that I am, this reminded me how much I love granola.  After thinking about it for a couple of days, I went to the store to find some granola.  It is impossible to find gluten free  granola in Roosevelt.  So I decided to make my own. 




I got the recipe here:


Basic {Easy!} Homemade Granola
·         1 cup coconut oil (sometimes I’ll use ½ coconut oil and ½ butter; canola works, also) (I used ½ cup butter and ½ cup canola oil)
·         1 cup honey (we didn’t have enough honey so I substituted about 1/3 cup stevia)
·         ½ cup brown sugar (I used more. Quite a bit more)
·         4 teaspoons vanilla
·         2 teaspoons cinnamon
·         15 cups (one 42 ounce box) old fashioned oats
1.    Mix brown sugar, oil, and honey in a small saucepan.  Bring to a low boil.
2.    Remove from heat.  Stir in cinnamon and vanilla.
3.    Pour over oats in a large bowl.  Stir until well coated.
4.    Spread oats in two or three 9×13 pans.  Bake at 375° for 10 minutes.
5.    Take out and stir.
6.    Return pans to oven.  Turn oven off.
7.    Go to bed.  Wake up to a delicious, cinnamon-y sent wafting through your kitchen!  (If you prefer to start your granola earlier in the day, it will be ready when your oven cools.)
Store granola in an airtight container.  Stick it in the freezer for long-term storage.  (I honestly forgot that it was in the oven and it’s still there.)

It's so yummy.  I've had it with honey strawberry greek yogurt and strawberries.  I've had it with bananas and almond milk.  And I've had it just by itself. 



No comments: